Monday, September 04, 2006

San Jose and Socrates

So, after a super-chill weekend here at the Tranquilo Backpacker Hostel...with its reggae music blaring into the wee hours of the night and its Oreo Cookie theives...We're heading out.
We're going to catch a bus to a small town about 2 hours east of San Jose...Tarriabla.

Our Spanish is still non-existent, so sorry, Beth...I have no idea what you said! pretty bad, huh? Scott's actually researching spanish schools as we speak. I'm trying to learn what I can from a small phrase book we have.

In the mean time, we've been getting a visual tour of the city, and discussing the basic elements of moral philosophy- As Socrates said "We are discussing no small matter, but how we ought to live." We don't have any obligations at this point in our lives, no real responsibilities or even needs. So how do we know what we ought to do? What is right? What is best?

Well, I hope all your labor day picnics and weekend getaways are going well! And Happy Birthday tomorrow, Mom!!

3 comments:

Barb Heine said...

Scott and Annie
Hope you are well. i guess you are not at the Elvis Hotel anymore.
We are at Aunt Lori's house for Labor Day Picnic. Kevin told me how to make a comment. We send you our love. Be safe. Love MOM
Have a good birthday Scott

Becky said...

i take good pictures!
http://beckyheine.blogspot.com/

Dawg said...

Oreo cookie thieves?! Pathetic. Here is what Beth said: iEspero que ustedes tengan un viaje magnifico! = I hope you (both) have a magnificent trip! (Y yo tambien! = and me too [also wishing you un viaje magnifico!])

You probably won't have time to check it, but as a reference I blog now and again too: http://maiettablawg.blogspot.com/

I love you guys! And Mark's message! =)